Monday, January 4, 2010

"The Lovely Bones" Review

Now I have to start off by saying I liked "The Lovely Bones". Everyone continuously critisizes me for not liking anything, so I just thought that had to be said. Happy now? Good, now I can bitch. "The Lovely Bones" is another one of those movies that I love the story of, but it gets fucked in the face by the execution.

The story is basically this: a girls gets murdered, and her father gets very upset and obsessively attempts to try and find out who killed her. Now yes, this sounds boring and cliché, but there's other shit involved as well. (By the way, in case you were wondering, I didn't ruin anything by saying that, you find all that out in the trailer). Either way, the story pans out quite well, and its filmed fantastically. Oh, and the killer (Stanley Tucci)... Just awesome, very creepy, and he should do more roles like this instead of shit like "Julie & Julia".

This is the first time I've ever seen a Peter Jackson film, and it strangely made me feel like watching the LOTR's saga (which I've never seen and has never been particularly interested in before this). So yeah, thats what I liked about it... But then they include tonnes of pointless shit scenes in which the murdered girl's in a supposedly gateway type place between Earth and Heaven. Now it might just sound like a bitch fest about religion (and I guess in a way it is) but I just don't see the appeal of that. Now ok, the effects were good, the scenes look attractive and all that, but I just didn't see why the fuck it was necessary? Yes, I know it was based on a book and they couldn't just drop the shit scenes because the author might have a cry... well I guess the author just shouldn't have been religious, that would have worked out much better.

And I must say, the ending (which I won't give away, don't stress) was just abyssmal. I could have written about 10 better endings, they should hire me as an ending writer already for fuck sake. Either way, while I cringed a fair bit, it wasn't bad. I did enjoy it, and all the reviewers who said it didn't capture any emotion... what the fuck were you watching?...

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry... did you just say you've NEVER SEEN LOTR??! What kind of a movie buff ARE YOU???

    ReplyDelete